Reasons a Pet is a Positive for Kids in a Family
Having a pet in a home with children tends to finish that family. The human animal bond within the house will support and grow, hence providing significant positive family dynamics, specifically for the youngsters. For many, having a pet in the home completes the mental image of their home.
Let us not leave out the 6-8 million animals a year that are housed in humane shelters. Getting a pet for the household will in addition assist these animals.
From: Adoptapet.com (http://www.adoptapet.com/blog/10-reasons-pets-are-good-for-kids)
There are so many benefits that pets provide for kids! It’s easy for kids to get wrapped up in the idea of owning a new pet, but it’s up to their parents to make sure the experience is a positive one, and that the pet receives the care he or she needs for their entire lives. Kids tend to think of all the fun, good things. Parents who are experienced, or even first-time pet owners, know there is a lot of patience, time, and effort involved, but that the pay-off of sharing your home and life with the unconditional love a well-cared for pet gives, it’s well worth it. For those parents sitting on the edge, here are several positive benefits you might not have thought of when bringing a pet home for your kids.
1. Children who grow up in homes with pets have less risk of developing common allergies and asthma.
2. Playing with dogs may help lower blood pressure.
3. Kids with pets get outside more – to go for walks, run, and play – and enjoy all the associated health benefits.
4. Pet owners require fewer doctors’ visits.
5. Emerging readers often feel more comfortable reading aloud to a pet.
6. Nurturing a pet is an acceptable way for boys to “parent play”; to practice being caregivers.
7. Feeding and caring for a pet encourages childhood responsibility.
8. Children with pets display improved impulse control, social skills and self-esteem.
9. Sharing the love and care of a family pet forges an additional common bond among siblings.
10. Cuddling a pet reduces stress, loneliness, and anxiety.
11. Pets offer security and stability. Nearly 70% of children confide in their pets, confident their secrets will not be betrayed.
12. And pets provide a natural gateway into the animal kingdom- love for one’s pet as a child often translates into an adult belief that the relationship between humans and animals is one of mutual support.